Thursday, July 05, 2007

Southern Utah Part 2 (The Narrows)

I decided to devote an entire blog posting to my favorite part of the Utah trip, Zion National Park. I have fond memories of Zion as a child, and try to make a trip up there everytime we go to Utah. We decided to hike "The Narrows" which is a natural trail cut into the canyon by the Virgin River. Most parts of the hike are through ankle high up to waist high water, with some dry rocks on the sides in places. We hiked for 5 hours round-trip, and were so proud of our two little troopers. Kyla and Casey didn't complain once and hiked through that water like champs, just as well as the adults. The pictures don't do it justice, but give you a small glimpse into the beauty of Zion.


Here are the boys and Kyla hiking up the narrow canyon.

My boy.

Kyla and Casey in one of the few dry resting spots.

I took this vertical picture to try and show the true beauty of the canyon. The mountain walls go so high up on either side, letting in only a little sunlight in a few places. That is my mom there in the middle. At this point in the hike, we were virtually alone because we had hiked so far in. It was a long, tiring hike, but well worth it!

1 comment:

NatNeedham said...

How fun! Have you ever hiked "the Subway"? It is a fun hike and very beautiful also. It's hard to get a backcountry pass for that one. Everyone is looking so grown up! I miss seeing you guys! Tell everyone ho for me! Love, Nat