Sunday, August 19, 2007

Diving in Monterey Bay

Kyla had an extraordinary opportunity last week. She was selected, along with 3 other students from her school, to go for a surface dive in the protected tide pools of the Monterey Bay Aquarium. She had her own personal dive instructor that helped her from start to finish.
Kyla had fun putting on all of the gear and wasn't nervous at all about using a regulator or putting her head underwater.

Kyla got to see starfish, decorator crabs, sea cucumbers, and other various types of fish. She was having lots of fun until a flounder moved unexpectedly below her! She was pretty much finished after that!
Kyla was very brave and had a wonderful day with her dad and her friends at the aquarium. The organization that sponsored the dive, Accessible Events, will have more pictures and video of the dive on their website soon, so I will post the link once they get it set up.






2 comments:

Sheryl said...

Kyla, this is so cool! I wish I could have been there to see you dive. I am very jealous of you!

Karen M. said...

Kyla what a brave young lady you are! I don't think that I could dive so I am proud of you, you look adorable in your dive suit too!